“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Rock!

11.18.12

So I have more to talk about with Uruguay, but the best story is with me
and my friend Amy. We went out at night to get free wi-fi by
ourselves. Well we were pretty nervous because people we know had
gotten mugged at this point in Montevideo. Before we left, Amy comes
into mine and D's room. D told us to be safe, and Amy goes, "I've got
my umbrella!"
Me: What are you going to do? Shoot it at someone?
Amy: Exactly!

So as we're walking, I decided to pick up one of the bricks nearby
(there was a lot of construction).

Amy: What is that for?
Me: In case someone jumps out at us.

We keep walking, and I put the brick in my back pack...but then I pick
up a pretty hefty jagged slab of concrete that is small enough to fit in
my hand.

Amy: I want one!

So we grabbed another one for her. Well we get to the wi-fi place just
fine and after a couple hours we decided to head out. I was talking to
my parents and I asked my mom if it was okay for me to let her go since
I didn't want to go out walking back to the ship too late.

Mom: Okay, but be careful!
Me: Don't worry mom, we've got rocks!
Mom: Now I'm worried.

Amy and I start walking back, and we're talking. I suppose we were
talking a little louder, or maybe it was because there was hardly anyone
on the street, but this older gentleman kept looking back at us, and
started to slow down. Amy and I both had thoughts of "oh man-he's going
to mug us!" because he kept fiddling with this bag he had too, and kept
looking back at us. He finally turns around and says to us, "It's not
safe for you here." Well gee, thanks, now Amy and I were even more
freaked out. He goes on to say, "Don't speak in English...you're from
the ship right? Even if you walk back to the port silently, do it-just
don't talk in English until you get there." So he was actually a really
nice person, we had a good conversation with him-but at first he was
being so majorly sketchy.

So Amy and I part ways with him and we kept walking...I don't know how
we managed to get so far away from where we were, because we were at the
right streets until the main street, which we somehow managed to make it
on the other side of the port! We see the ship, and go through another
construction area-this time we have to go under some stuff...and all of
a sudden, it makes this creaking noise...so Amy and I bolted to the ship!

Once we're back in the port, we decided we were going to see if they'd
let us keep our rocks...we didn't think they would, but hey, there was
no harm in trying. And to top it off, the strictest safety officer was
there to check bags. Well I told Amy I'd go up first and he could check
my bag. So I'm running up the stairs and he's joking with me, "Do that
10x and you'll have a work out for the day!" No kidding, but we were
laughing.

So he opens my bag, and finally finds the brick. He pulls it out and
mentions, "This is a brick..."
Me and Amy (at the same time): Yeah...
Safety Officer (S.O.): What do you have this for..? (He's laughing at
this point)
Me: In case we got mugged!
Amy: We needed some protection!
S.O.: And you thought this would help..?
Me and Amy: Yeah...
S.O.: And a rock?!
Amy: I have one too!

He shakes his head and just keeps laughing. He then asks, "So...do you
want to keep these?"
Me and Amy look at each other and then say, "Yeah, kinda!"
S.O.: Alright, but don't take them out of your cabin!

It was amazing that we managed to get him to let us get them on the
ship!! This night was pretty funny :) I'll finish Uruguay tomorrow,
but this was the second night we were in Montevideo! Definitely deserved
it's own blog post :P

SH

No comments:

Post a Comment