“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

All About Ireland! (Galway edition)

9.4.12

Hey everyone! Last night we just left Dublin, so I have a lot to talk
about the past four days!

I'll start with Galway!

First, it was so exciting to get off the ship for the first time in a
week and be able to actually walk without the potential ability to get
tossed! I didn't get much sleep the night before, mostly due to the fact
we were so excited not just about land, or that we wouldn't have school
for 4 days, but because we were going to be in Ireland!

So once we got there, we had to take a tender boat from our ship to the
docks (I'll show you a picture of what this looks like next time I can
get online!) The day seemed somewhat dreary, but we wandered around
until we found our hostel, the Kinlay. It was a really nice hostel! We
had our own room, free breakfast, free wifi, our own towels and
blankets, etc. Well that day, it started to clear up just a bit, so we
decided to catch a bus to the Cliffs of Moher.

It was about a 2 hour drive, but our bus driver was really nice and we
met some other SASers as well! Halfway through the bus ride, our bus
driver stopped to let us take some scenic pictures. My favorite picture
(which I'll put up when I can) is one of me, Colleen, Danielle, and Meg
sitting in the road with our backs to the camera, and the scene before
us is all green and farmland, and just so gorgeous.

Then we made another stop to these burial grounds (I don't remember the
name off the top of my head, I'll put that up when I put the picture up)
but the burial grounds are older than the pyramids!!

Finally, we made it to the cliffs. The sight was so serene, and I'm
glad we went the day we did, because it was a little bit foggy, but you
could still see everything. The fog just made the scene more surreal
and calm, and just mesmerizing.

That night Meg and I met up with some SASers, and we all went to a pub
crawl. It wasn't what I was expecting, because it was pretty much just
a socializing setting for tourists, and the one time any band played an
Irish jig, it was because we requested the song.

The second day in Galway, we basically walked around and shopped. Galway
is a cute little town, and it only takes about ten minutes to get
everywhere walking. Then we were hanging out at a pub, and we ran into
a family who was celebrating their family member who was getting married
next weekend. So while talking to them, they invited us out with them
to help celebrate their family. We went out, and it was a great time
and we ran into a some other SAS students as well. All in all, Galway
was great and I had a fantastic time!

I'll write about Dublin after class!
SH

No comments:

Post a Comment