“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Mind the Gap and Donate Maybe!

10.7.12

Soooo I'll write about the Canary Islands soon, but I just wanted to
give everyone a quick update on ship life!

I've been pretty seasick this stretch, and am actually combating a
severe migraine at the moment, but other than the occasional
seasickness, ship life has been pretty fantastic. I've had a couple
tests, I got a B+ on my Global Studies exam, which isn't bad, and idk
how I did on the other.

The weather has been pretty awesome, aside from a few rain storms, and I
think that, along with the seasickness is what's making me get
headaches/migraines occur recently. I'm excited to be getting into
Ghana tomorrow!!

When I'm not seasick, I've been out tanning or playing in the pool with
the little kids, it's been a ton of fun! I'm actually starting to get a
tan! Wahoo! :)

The main reason I'm writing this blog though, now that the performance
is over, is because of my work study. Me, my friends Tucker and Jared
are all part of the Alumni Development and Assistant work study team!
Well, us 3 are working mainly on the Shipboard Drive.

The Shipboard Drive is a week long fundraiser that occurs during the
stretch at sea from Rio to Manaus. We have a couple themes this year,
and one of them is "Mind the Gap." (As in, the take from London's
Tube!) Did anyone know that the tuition we pay doesn't actually cover
the cost of the entire voyage? We would, ironically, have to end our
voyage somewhere near Brazil if we stopped when our tuition did.

This is where Alumni and others come in- donations from everyone
(particularly Alumni) help "Mind the Gap" from Brazil to get us back
home to the United States! So basically, Jared, Tucker's and my job is
to get people pumped about the Shipboard Drive, and to help raise
awareness so that we can all become those Alumni that help other SASers
during their future voyages.

One way we did this is by a little performance at what we call
"Logistical Pre-Port." This is where attendance is mandatory and
everyone has to be in the Union in order to hear about the field labs,
important health concerns, as well as attire and any general information.

Our performance happened to be a parody to the song "Call me Maybe."
Only our title was "Donate Maybe." We had a phenomenal turn out, even
though we dropped a couple lyrics in the moment. Either way, it was a
fabulous hit, and I can't wait to show everyone the video that Colleen
recorded!!! We're hoping to possibly do more of these, because of how
well it turned out!

That's about all I have to talk about! I can't wait to show everyone,
but I have to hit the hay because my migraine is really bad...I'll be
honest when I say I'm surprised I was able to go up on stage and sing
with the boys because of how poor I feel. :/ Either way, Ghana
tomorrow, and I'm super excited!

You'll hear more updates soon!
SH

No comments:

Post a Comment