“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Donate Maybe?

10.16.12

Hey! Today I'm going to discuss a little bit about my job on the ship.
Can I just say that I love it? I work with 8 other students and our
boss. We're split into 3 groups, one working on the Auction, one
working on the Ball, and then there's Tucker, Jared, and I who are
working on the Shipboard Drive.

The Shipboard Drive is the week-long fundraiser that occurs between Rio
de Janeiro and Manaus. This is slightly ironic. Did you know that our
tuition does not cover the cost of the entire voyage? Guess where we
would end our voyage if we just sailed to where our tuition
stopped...that's right: somewhere in Brazil!

How do we get from Brazil back home? Donations from Alumni and
families! Basically, Jared, Tucker, and I are working to raise
awareness of how important it is to pay it forward and donate back to
Semester at Sea. We have a couple themes:

1. Mind the Gap- In London, on the underground tube station, it
always tells people to "Mind the Gap." The Gap is a little space
between the walkway and the tube. Well, we have a gap ourselves, and
that's to get from Brazil back home. So people have minded that Gap for
us, it's our turn to help another voyage.

2. $12 for the F '12 voyage! We're asking family and friends
to donate $12 or increments of $12 for our Fall 2012 voyage! We
calculated that if everyone on the FB page gives a minimum of $12, it
would be well over $200,000!

One way the 3 of us raised some awareness for the Shipboard Drive is
getting up in front of the entire shipboard community the night before
we got to Ghana. We did a couple trivia questions before, but this time
we decided to do a parody. We got up there and talked a little bit
about our themes, and at the end we all said at the same time, "Donate
maybe?"

Yes. We did do a complete parody to the song "Call me Maybe." There's
about 8 videos going around, so don't worry, everyone will have the
opportunity to see it! It's absolutely hysterical, and it went really
well with everyone! Our boss had it video-taped too. I'll post the
lyrics later so everyone can sing to it! (We're going to try to auction
them off, autographed of course, and I don't want people to have easy
access to them before we do!)

I was actually in a market in Accra when that song came on again...it
took me an entire verse to realize I was singing our version and not the
real version haha!

I hope everyone will donate for us as well, and I'll try to post one of
the videos I have next time I get free wifi! Miss everyone!

SH

No comments:

Post a Comment