“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Dominica!

12.4.12

Aside from the tragedy that occurred our first day in Dominica, it was
definitely an amazing port. The first day, I couldn't believe it was
December, and here I was, parading around in shorts and a tank top! I
took a picture next to a Christmas tree haha. I walked around a bit
during the morning, but the city is very small. That afternoon I went
on a SAS river tubing trip. It was so much fun! We first went to the
Emerald Pool, which the water looks like emeralds. There was also a
waterfall and we got to swim...It was quite cold! Afterwards we headed
to the river. We got in the tubes and were given paddles and helmets,
and then we were off! It was such a great time-sometimes the rapids
were lazy, sometimes it was quicker. A couple times people fell off,
but because they lost their paddle or were trying to get some unstuck
(there were rocks we got caught on a couple times!) We went with a
group called Wacky Rollers, and they were great! They had us do a
couple chants, and we even had joke time haha. I loved every minute of
it, and I hung out with new people!

Our last day in port ever was also a great day. We left the ship and
first went snorkeling! It was amazing; I saw so many fish and corals
and even an eel! My mask kept fogging up though so I had to keep
adjusting to it, but other than that, I loved seeing everything. We saw
jellyfish too! I can't even begin to name all the types of fish we saw
either. As we were swimming back to the shore, I accidentally hit some
fire coral...and just as the name suggests, my leg felt like it was on
fire for the rest of the day. It's a type of coral, but it is related
closer to jellyfish than it is coral. I still have a mark of where I
hit it, but it doesn't hurt too badly anymore!

We then went to Titou Gorge, swam around for a little bit, climbed a
waterfall and then jumped off it! (It was only about 6 feet). Did I
forget to mention this is partly where they filmed Pirates of the
Caribbean 2?? We also got to jump off a ledge about 20 ft in the air
into the gorge! The picture looks awesome, and it was pretty scary at
first! Then we headed to Trafalgra Falls...sorry if I misspelled that!
It was really pretty, and we got to go in some hot springs-like a hot
tub! It was so nice! We also drove through the botanical gardens
before we went back to the ship!

It was definitely a great port, and a great way to end the semester!
I'm going to miss this so much!

SH

No comments:

Post a Comment